Cambridge University Boat Club
Formed in 1828 Cambridge University Boat Club (CUBC) is responsible for selecting and training the Cambridge & Goldie crews.
Both Cambridge and Oxford are collegiate universities, made up of numerous individual colleges many with their own boat clubs; CUBC trialists are chosen from the college clubs in order to create the best University crew.
The CUBC is based at the Goldie Boathouse on the River Cam in Cambridge but also practise on the Great River Ouse in Ely. The boathouse and reserve boat are named after John Goldie, legendary 1870s Blue.
The Cambridge Blue Boat wear light blue, thought to be a result of their early association with Eton College, though the actual reasons are still the subject of much debate. In the first Boat Race in 1829 Cambridge wore a pink sash.